If you have not lived in the State of Texas for a period of ninety one days, you have to wait till you complete that period and then file and this applies to any other state. If you have stayed in the current state for more than ninety one days but less than two years, you can file in the current state but will have to use exemptions from where you have stayed for majority of the last six months.